The 2018 Man Booker Prize Longlist has been announced and comprises of 13 novels chosen from 171 submissions.
It was noted that this is the first year that novels published in Ireland are eligible for the prize, following a change in rules announced at the start of 2018 that recognized the special relationship between the UK and Irish publishing markets.
On the list we have:
1. Belinda Bauer (UK) – Snap (Bantam Press)
2. Anna Burns (UK) – Milkman (Faber & Faber)
3. Nick Drnaso (USA) – Sabrina (Granta Books)
4. Esi Edugyan (Canada) – Washington Black (Serpent’s Tail)
5. Guy Gunaratne (UK) – In Our Mad And Furious City (Tinder Press)
6. Daisy Johnson (UK) – Everything Under (Jonathan Cape)
7. Rachel Kushner (USA) – The Mars Room (Jonathan Cape)
8. Sophie Mackintosh (UK) – The Water Cure (Hamish Hamilton)
9. Michael Ondaatje (Canada) – Warlight (Jonathan Cape)
10. Richard Powers (USA) – The Overstory (William Heinemann)
11. Robin Robertson (UK) – The Long Take (Picador)
12. Sally Rooney (Ireland) – Normal People (Faber & Faber)
13. Donal Ryan (Ireland) – From A Low And Quiet Sea (Doubleday Ireland)
As far as swiping my copies of these books goes, I’ve been successful at adding Belind Bauer’s Snap and Donal Ryan’s From A Low And Quiet Sea to my TBR list. Watch this space for reviews.
Let me know in the comments section which of these authors you’ve read and who are you rooting for?